Hiring off shore

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 16:37:46 MST 2016

To me, your role is closest to that of a parasite.  You aren't doing any
real work, you aren't making anything new.   I'd assert that in this
scenario you are not helping your community, you're taking advantage of
them in nearly every case.

Hire an offshore dev and it won't be to specification, and you're most
likely going to generate a subpar UX at best.  You're burning your
relationship with your clients by delivering crap.  You are probably
helping the offshore dev's community the most.

Hire someone locally at fair consulting wages, and really what value are
you?  If they take the time and do a direct hire, then they cut out the
middle man (your costs) and get to devote more money to building a better
product and a healthy business relationship.  More money to the final
product absolutely helps the community.

Now, if you can justify your $85/hour and prove that you are adding that
value to the product then you're lubricant in the wheels of business and
needed to prevent gridlock.  In any case, if I could use the analogy of a
chemical reaction, you play either the role of an impurity or a
catalyst--but in no situation are you a significant part of the solution so
your take should be reflective of that.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Eric Cope <eric.cope at gmail.com> wrote:

> are you burning that $85? Will you save (which is then invested either
> through loans or invested in the market, same thing) or spend (which does
> affect the community)?
> If you can create value for your customer, and you can find someone
> willing to work for less, then it sounds fine to me.
>
> Thats called creating wealth.
>
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a PHP programmer and I have a knack for Internet marketing.
>>
>> Say I decide to build a lead site or cultivate leads from the greater
>> phoenix area.  Projects you may qualify for.  Then I hire an off shore
>> developer.  I pay this off shore developer $12 - $15 an hour while charging
>> my client $100 or more an hour.  I line my pockets with $85 plus and hour.
>>
>> Does this course of action help my community?
>>
>> What if my choice was to pay you a fair wage (or consulting fee) to work
>> the project or hire that off shore developer for 25% of what your willing
>> to work for?  I would make much less as well.
>>
>> I'd like you to tell me what to do.  Hire you or someone off shore.
>> Please tell me what to do.
>>
>> Keith

Todd Millecam