OT: AJPL Family STEM Day - Volunteers?

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Thu May 5 11:00:40 MST 2016

I'd be game to give a "so you want to know about open source?" seminar
there.

I can do installs on site, explain what Linux is why it's important, some
careers associated with it and what open source can mean for the DIY crowd
as well as the professional.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 12:07 AM, Phil Waclawski <phil.waclawski at mesacc.edu>
wrote:

> I might be able to come.  Will we have access to power? I can bring my
> laptop, an extra monitor and do some photo editing with GIMP, or logo
> creating with inkscape etc if that would be useful?
>
> Phil W
>
> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Scott Sparks <barasca at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Apache Junction Public Library is holding a Family STEM Day on
>> Saturday, May 21, from 10am to 4pm. They are looking to include some
>> Free/Open Source Software representation as part of the Technology track
>> and we're hoping we could find some volunteers from PLUG.
>>
>> A draft of the event flyer can be found at
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Vhhnm0QvuWYzVFWDNqZmlscEl1cko0WXF6VHc4czZNNS1j/view?usp=sharing
>>
>> We're looking for one or two volunteers to help introduce free software
>> concepts and philosophies to the public including:
>> - What is Free/Open Source Software
>> - What is Linux and how is it different from Windows or Mac (please stay
>> positive)
>> - F/OSS alternatives to popular closed source applications
>> - How the community works and where to find helpful resources
>> - Information regarding multi-boot scenarios
>> - Information regarding running on older or underpowered hardware
>> - Some installation assistance, a la a mini-Installfest
>>
>> Not all of those points have to be touched on, and we can set up a booth
>> or a lecture, or even both, depending what's comfortable for you. Is anyone
>> interested in volunteering?
>>  - Scotty
>> Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane
>> asylum. - Graycie Harmon

Todd Millecam