OT: AJPL Family STEM Day - Volunteers?

Scott Sparks barasca at gmail.com
Wed May 4 23:11:25 MST 2016

The Apache Junction Public Library is holding a Family STEM Day on
Saturday, May 21, from 10am to 4pm. They are looking to include some
Free/Open Source Software representation as part of the Technology track
and we're hoping we could find some volunteers from PLUG.

A draft of the event flyer can be found at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Vhhnm0QvuWYzVFWDNqZmlscEl1cko0WXF6VHc4czZNNS1j/view?usp=sharing

We're looking for one or two volunteers to help introduce free software
concepts and philosophies to the public including:
- What is Free/Open Source Software
- What is Linux and how is it different from Windows or Mac (please stay
positive)
- F/OSS alternatives to popular closed source applications
- How the community works and where to find helpful resources
- Information regarding multi-boot scenarios
- Information regarding running on older or underpowered hardware
- Some installation assistance, a la a mini-Installfest

Not all of those points have to be touched on, and we can set up a booth or
a lecture, or even both, depending what's comfortable for you. Is anyone
interested in volunteering?
 - Scotty
Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.
- Graycie Harmon