Domain Name / Hosting

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri Mar 25 06:29:44 MST 2016

Thanks David!!

Any idea why you were hacked?  Was it an O/S vulnerability or WP?  Maybe
we can all learn here.

Sounds like you were running your own mail server.

Mail is the weak point with the cloud and VPS, or even hardware.  I'm
looking for a robust but cheap mail host.  I'd like to see $2/1G box/mo
with no minimum.

On 2016-03-24 20:54, David Schwartz wrote:
> I’ve got a standard reseller account with WHM.
>
> They don’t include ssh access on shared hosting accounts.
>
> Performance seems ok. I shut most of the sites down before migrating
> them because of the hacking issues, and haven’t brought them back
> up.
>
> Just a couple are running right now, and performance has never been an
> issue with them.
>
> -David "The Tool Wiz" Schwartz
>
>> On Mar 24, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Bryan O'Neal
>> <Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com> wrote:
>>
>> Loved all the responses here - great discussion. Hopefully I will
>> add something
>> Virtual or non-virtual.
>> In my professional life I need non virtual. Yes, I use hundreds of
>> gigs of ram, all the cores, but more importantly to get the
>> performance I need I disable cstates, power throttling on the CPUs,
>> I also pin processes to individual CPU's to take better advantage of
>> L2 cache, I completely mess with how the kernel does networking, I
>> require virtual hardware that normally conflicts with hypervisors, I
>> am very concerned with how NUMA is handled, etc, etc, etc.
>> But this is because I support a cloud infrastructure. Otherwise I
>> care about word press and email and will never have enough traffic
>> to warrant $12K of hardware hooked up to a 1GB pipe. So small
>> virtual slices are fine.
>> However I have also had issues with bad neighbors and over
>> subscription. So a GD Dedicated server eliminates that problem,
>> despite it having a thin virtual layer. That layer also provides a
>> lot of advantages as mentioned above. So unless I need to do the
>> very low level hardware stuff I do as a infrastructure provider it
>> seems like a great option.
>>
>> Like Keith mentioned I mostly require wordpress, email, calendar,
>> direct mysql databases, etc for my hosting needs. So for workspace
>> like things (Email, calendar, etc) I use google apps for domains
>> because I was lucky enough to be grandfathered in for free.
>> Everything else is GoDaddy.
>>
>> However when you look at something like WordPress you have a number
>> of options at GoDaddy. I can think of about 5 offerings that provide
>> it. Some are a shared [CPannel | Plesk] server, elastic grid
>> hosting, [Dedicated | Virtual Dedicated] servers, and of course
>> managed wordpress.
>> I chose managed word press because I want some one else to pay
>> attention to security and to, quite frankly, make it easy for me.
>> https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting [3]
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM, David Schwartz
>> <newsletters at thetoolwiz.com> wrote:
>>
>>> After some outfit named RegisterFly or something like that got
>>> “acquired” by GD, I began using NameCheap as my main
>>> registrar. They offer 1 year of privacy for free, then it’s a
>>> few bucks a year after that.
>>>
>>> When NameSilo came along, they posted something here to get people
>>> to try them out, and I liked what they offered. So I migrated my
> [...]

Keith Smith