Domain Name / Hosting

Bryan O'Neal Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
Thu Mar 24 11:07:12 MST 2016

Loved all the responses here - great discussion. Hopefully I will add
something
Virtual or non-virtual.
In my professional life I need non virtual. Yes, I use hundreds of gigs of
ram, all the cores, but more importantly to get the performance I need I
disable cstates, power throttling on the CPUs, I also pin processes to
individual CPU's to take better advantage of L2 cache, I completely mess
with how the kernel does networking, I require virtual hardware that
normally conflicts with hypervisors, I am very concerned with how NUMA is
handled, etc, etc, etc.
But this is because I support a cloud infrastructure. Otherwise I care
about word press and email and will never have enough traffic to warrant
$12K of hardware hooked up to a 1GB pipe. So small virtual slices are fine.
However I have also had issues with bad neighbors and over subscription. So
a GD Dedicated server eliminates that problem, despite it having a thin
virtual layer. That layer also provides a lot of advantages as mentioned
above. So unless I need to do the very low level hardware stuff I do as a
infrastructure provider it seems like a great option.

Like Keith mentioned I mostly require wordpress, email, calendar, direct
mysql databases, etc for my hosting needs. So for workspace like things
(Email, calendar, etc) I use google apps for domains because I was lucky
enough to be grandfathered in for free. Everything else is GoDaddy.

However when you look at something like WordPress you have a number of
options at GoDaddy. I can think of about 5 offerings that provide it. Some
are a shared [CPannel | Plesk] server, elastic grid hosting, [Dedicated |
Virtual Dedicated] servers, and of course managed wordpress.
I chose managed word press because I want some one else to pay attention to
security and to, quite frankly, make it easy for me.
https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting