Domain Name / Hosting

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Wed Mar 23 07:11:51 MST 2016

Around 2006 I saw a picture of iPower's data center in LA and they had
lots of consumer grade boxes on shelves that they were selling as stand
alone hardware servers.  I could write a book about what I saw and
experienced at both GoDaddy and iPower, both tech and HR.

The thing that is missing with all these VPS offerings is mail servers.
We need inexpensive mailboxes.  I do not want to run a mail server and
have not found an affordable vendor (that also offers decent VPS). I
have several websites and would like to put them up on a VPS (with ssd),
let them do the DNS, which DigitalOcean does and have the ability to buy
mail boxes at $2/ea.  Rack space want you to buy at least 5 boxes per
domain.  That adds $10/mo for each domain.  I only need one or two email
boxes for each domain.

On 2016-03-22 19:52, Sesso wrote:
> Yeah it was a long time ago. I worked there in, I wanna say 2006ish. I
> left shortly after working there for a year.
>
> Jason
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:03 PM, James Dugger <james.dugger at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm a developer working at GoDaddy on one of those shared hosting
>> platform teams. Haven't seen any "PC's on bakers racks" Those must
>> be a thing of the past . I do see Dell PowerEdge rack servers "fully
>> pluggable". We don't buy servers in single quantities, we buy whole
>> preconfigured 42U racks at time. The racks are shipped directly to
>> our datacenters, in AZ, East Coast US, Europe, and Asia.
>>
>> Our cloud offering just went live yesterday at prices comparable to
>> DigitalOcean. We are partnering with Bitnami for packaged server
>> builds and this cloud is connected to our domain services. See
>> reviews below.
>>
>> http://www.techmeme.com/160321/p6#a160321p6 [2]
>>

> http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/21/godaddy-debuts-aws-style-servers-and-apps-to-build-test-and-scale-cloud-services/
>> [3]
>>
>> Somethings can be more important than just cheap, like uptime and
>> speed. GoDaddy ranks in the top 3 or 4 of the fastest providers for
>> products both on Windows and Linux platforms.
>>

> http://cloudspectator.com/web-host-providers-performance-ranking-a-six-month-summary/
>> [4]
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Sesso <sesso at djsesso.com> wrote:
>>
>>> yeah I worked at godaddy when they had those little boxes. Yes,
>>> the industry has gone mostly virtual which is understandable.
>>> However, there are still clients that want actual hardware. I sell
>>> just as much hardware in my own business as I do Virtual. My day
>>> job sells about the same and we actually own our own datacenters.
>>> The clients that buy hardware are usually large companies that can
>>> afford it. You are right, many clients don’t need it but they
>>> want it lol. They are signing 3 year contracts on these servers
>>> also.
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> being that really *does not need* dedicated services for what they
>>> are doing. It doesn't meet their business model, or technology
>>> models around that business when consumer cores are still 2-4 per
>>> cpu, and you're seeing 12-16 per socket, dual socket, and most can
>>> take 192-384gb of ram.

>>> server" is just that, a server, but the reality was GD's (and
>>> others like them) bare metal servers were just generic consumer
>>> Shuttle SFF pc boxes on bakers racks as far as the eye can see,
>>> which meant no IPMI, remote console (outside an os), absolutely
>>> nothing pluggable aside from usb, and rather a pain to deal with
>>> provisioning or maintenance-wise. When someone's system died, a
>>> kid in a dc got paged out to rip the box apart and troubleshoot
>>> them, which isn't easy on consumer gear. They were great when
> [...]

Keith Smith