Dell RAM limit

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri Mar 4 15:49:52 MST 2016

On 2016-03-04 14:40, Jerry Snitselaar wrote:
> On Fri Mar 04 16, Keith Smith wrote:
>>
>> It is ridiculous.  In opening the box I find only one PCI slot. The
>> addition of a second hard drive made the box sound like it was a drum
>> set.  I think the cable was pressed against the side of the case and
>> every time the drive head moved it caused the vibration to vibrate the
>> case.  These really are consumer grade products. Dell builds quality
>> stuff... they just hamstring it.  Oh and I forgot these boxes will
>> only drive 1 video.  If you want to drive more than one you need to
>> add an add on video card.
>>
>> Next go around I will be building my own.  That unfortunately will be
>> many years from now since I have a newer equipment.
>>
>> Thank you all for your input!!
>>

>> On 2016-03-04 12:25, Snyder, Alexander wrote:
>>> LOL, that's brutal.  I've never heard of that program.  Awesome!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> --:: Alexander J. Snyder ::--
>>> --:: ThisGuyShouldWorkFor.Us [1] ::--
>>> --:: "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window. --Steve
>>> Wozniak" ::--
>>> --

>>> The way to find these things out without having to power the machine
>>> off and peer into the innards is to run "dmidecode > boardinfo.txt"
>>> as
>>> root.  grep the resulting text file for "Memory" and you'll find the
>>> number of RAM slots and the maximum capacity of the board.  dmidecode
>>> should be available for every distro.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress [2]
>>> There is no Darkness in Eternity
>>> But only Light too dim for us to see.

>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] http://thisguyshouldworkfor.us
>>> [2] http://crow202.org/wordpress

> Another useful tool is lshw. The following manual from Dell:
>
> https://goo.gl/S5dF7P
>
> Memory
> Connector Two internally-accessible DDR3 DIMM sockets
> Type DDR3
> Speed 1600 MHz
> Configurations supported 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, and 16 GB

Thank you for pointing that out.  I do see that in the manual.  Maybe
the Dell rep was thinking I was asking what is the max ram I can buy
this box configured with. It appears 16GB (2 - 8gb sticks) is doable.  I
can work around the other issues.

Any suggestions on RAM manufacture?

Any suggestions on a cheap PCI video card that can drive 2 monitors?
I'll be running Linux on this box.

Looks like Dell recommends :

•	NVIDIA GeForce GT 625
•	NVIDIA GeForce GT 635