Dell RAM limit

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri Mar 4 13:09:10 MST 2016

It is ridiculous.  In opening the box I find only one PCI slot. The
addition of a second hard drive made the box sound like it was a drum
set.  I think the cable was pressed against the side of the case and
every time the drive head moved it caused the vibration to vibrate the
case.  These really are consumer grade products. Dell builds quality
stuff... they just hamstring it.  Oh and I forgot these boxes will only
drive 1 video.  If you want to drive more than one you need to add an
add on video card.

Next go around I will be building my own.  That unfortunately will be
many years from now since I have a newer equipment.

Thank you all for your input!!

On 2016-03-04 12:25, Snyder, Alexander wrote:
> LOL, that's brutal.  I've never heard of that program.  Awesome!
>
> --
> Thanks,
> --:: Alexander J. Snyder ::--
> --:: ThisGuyShouldWorkFor.Us [1] ::--
> --:: "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window. --Steve
> Wozniak" ::--
> --
>
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Matt Graham <mhgraham at crow202.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Keith Smith
>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>> I bought a Dell Inspiron 3847 last year (i5-4460/8gb ram/1tb hd).
>  On 2016-03-04 12:12, Snyder, Alexander wrote:
>
>> What kind of Motherboard do you have? Find out what its suggested
>> RAM speed/vendor(s) are ... Also, if "Dell Says" you're limited to
>> 8GB,
>> then they might have a BIOS block on it ... which can probably be
>> reset
>> to default, allowing the full 32GB, if you wish.
>
>  The way to find these things out without having to power the machine
> off and peer into the innards is to run "dmidecode > boardinfo.txt" as
> root.  grep the resulting text file for "Memory" and you'll find the
> number of RAM slots and the maximum capacity of the board.  dmidecode
> should be available for every distro.
>
>  --
>  Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress [2]
>  There is no Darkness in Eternity