Dell RAM limit

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri Mar 4 12:32:56 MST 2016

On 2016-03-04 12:12, Snyder, Alexander wrote:
> What kind of Motherboard do you have?  Find out what its suggested
> RAM speed/vendor(s) are ...  Also, if "Dell Says" you're limited to
> 8GB,
> then they might have a BIOS block on it ... which can probably be
> reset
> to default, allowing the full 32GB, if you wish.

The way to find these things out without having to power the machine
off and peer into the innards is to run "dmidecode > boardinfo.txt" as
root.  grep the resulting text file for "Memory" and you'll find the
number of RAM slots and the maximum capacity of the board.  dmidecode
should be available for every distro.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity