Dell RAM limit

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri Mar 4 11:41:24 MST 2016

Hi,

I bought a Dell Inspiron 3847 last year (i5-4460/8gb ram/1tb hd).

I want to add more RAM, however Dell says I am limited to 8Gb.  The cpu
will do 32Gb. Would like 16Gb.  Any work around?

My desktop is using 4.1 GB (so reports free) with just the
browser,shell, skype and Linux Mint KDE.

I opened one server on VirtualBox and now free says 4.6Gb used. (Cent 6)
That server is allotted 2Gb  The VirtualBox server is idle if that makes
a difference.  I might want to have 3 different VirtualBox servers
running at any given time.

Started another VirtualBox server (allotted 2Gb of RAM) (Ubuntu 14.04).
RAM used is now 5.2Gb.  Server is idle.

Started a 3rd VirtualBox server (allotted 2Gb of RAM) (Cent 7).  RAM
used is now 5.6Gb.  Server is idle.

I seem to have enough RAM for this, however if I open a spreadsheet, add
more tabs to my browser, or actually do something with the VB servers I
could run dangerously low or out.

Any insight as to how Dell limits RAM and how I might bypass that
limitation?

Than you so much for your insight.

Thanks,
Keith