Ubuntu (kde/4k)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jun 21 17:36:29 MST 2016

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 14:31:08 -0700
Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

> So I'd been thinking about finally escaping the AMD hell I'm usually
> stuck in with their driver and lack of giving a care about linux
> largely, and your comments got me looking at the new big daddy
> 1070/1080 cards.  Phoronix likes them and reports them working well
> enough, but then I saw this on newegg:
>
> Max Resolution: 7680 x 4320
>
> Really?!  Even with 3x displayport's and 1x hdmi2.0 port, I can't
> effectively use them more than 2x 4k monitors wide?

AMD hell, huh?

I'm writing this on a perfectly good AMD box, bought over Intel because:

1) ALL AMD processors can do hardware assisted VM. No need to carefully
   look at specs to make sure you're not getting a no-VM cripple.
2) Cheaper
3) Subjectively, more reliable.

There are all sorts of use cases, and I'd think that the use case of
absolutely needing hardware assisted VM is probably much more common
than needing more than 2x 4k monitors.

I can understand your frustration at not being able to display a short
book's worth of info on your monitor, but don't characterize it as a
blanket indictment of AMD.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb