Ubuntu (kde/4k)

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun Jun 19 17:48:49 MST 2016

On 06/19/2016 04:48 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
> I went and updated plasma to 5.6.5 from kde-backports, and this is > helping significantly from what I've managed to test.  I found that >
it did not actually pull in newer qt, I'm still at qt5 5.5.1,

 From my understanding, too many other non-kde things including many
things in Unity rely on specific versions of QT, so the Kubuntu team
uses the version of QT included with the system, so I wouldn't have
gotten upgraded with the new version of KDE.

> but so far the handling of the events is better.  When I start  > flipping all three of them on and off, it does start to mess up not
 > putting the displays back to their proper offset they began as, but >
so far it hasn't glitched to make the res small, or crash kwin/plasma >
in ugly ways.  I'd suggest it so far after half a day.

Perhaps you can find a pattern that you can turn them back on in that
will give you the proper setup.  In theory it should always put them
back in the proper order.  My guess would be that they are checking
their database of monitors incorrectly so that monitor A + monitor B is
not looked up the same way as monitor B + Monitor A.

> I did look at getting the edid ghoster with the same thought, as I > figured the glitching could be related to hdcp (damn drm), edid >
conversion from dp to hdmi, etc, but yeah, they were pricey. A good >
one that can do full 4k/60hz was a few hundred bucks, and I need 3, > so
no. I found the same problem with the price. That's why I went with a
$35 HDMI splitter that sounded like it would do the same thing. I'll
have to remember to let you know if it works when I finally get it
hooked up.

Brian Cluff