Ubuntu

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sat Jun 18 17:10:09 MST 2016

On 06/18/2016 02:00 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
> I did however have to stop using KDE recently as moving from 6x 1080p
> monitors to 3x 4k tv's presents a situation that seems to aggravate
> the driver, hardware, as well as the desktop apps down to Qt itself.
> Being TV's, they're not smart about things like DPMS, and turning them
> off at night is like unplugging them to the pc.  This causes all sorts
> of weird behavior I'm finding, plasma4.x u14.04+fglrx)couldn't
> remember which monitor was which to put things back properly when
> returning, and plasma 5.x (u16.04+ati/mesa) regressed with QT so still
> cannot deal with displays coming and going well to not simply freak
> out at times.  Again, damn compositors.
I'm also running a 4K TV as a monitor and I had been letting it turn
itself off after a certain amount of time not being used.  In the
morning I was greeted with a black screen that required pressing CTRL +
ALT + F1, logging in, and doing various things to get my session back.
I did just go check the interweb and found the bug reports from other
people having the same problem, and it appears that as of plasma 5.6 the
problems should be solved.  I've not tested it yet myself as my computer
is busy, but it appears as long as you are running the latest Kubuntu
WITH the backports PPA, you should be able to run KDE again without
problems.

Brian Cluff