Gimp

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Mon Jun 6 15:27:46 MST 2016

Mostly what Brian says.  2.9.2 is out and 2.9.4 should be out soon.  2.9.4 has almost all of the 2.10 features, although some are experimental, and there are known major bugs.  Remember to save often (and to rotate multiple save files) when using a development version.

Specifically:
1) It will be released when it's done.  There's no set schedule, it just depends on how many people work on it and how much work it turns out to be.  The 2.10 release turned out vastly more work than originally expected, as it is essentially an 80% rewrite using a completely new graphics engine based on content graphs and graph manipulation.  On the upside that kind of engine lends itself well to acceleration via OpenCL, which is work that started (in a separate project) early this year. 2.10 has taken years longer than originally planned, but it's work that had to be done to bring GIMP out of it's 1990's-era limitations.
2) Looking at the git commit history and roadmaps, the pacing lately is fairly stable and consistent, and suggests a stable 2.10 release late this year, or possibly early next year.  It depends a lot on the 2-3 key contributors, however, so any date is more guess than science.

Disclaimer:
I don't have any inside information here, I just dug through the roadmap history, git logs, and the past 20 or so commits to see what's being worked on and roughly how quickly work gets done.