Multiple drives

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jun 6 13:00:31 MST 2016

I'd second if the same size doing raid-1, I do this for every client I
have anymore, especially when using SSD's that seem to drop like flies.
I do this for laptops too when an option, I just make sure to buy
laptops that can take two.  More common it seems with the advent of
msata or m2 drives.

I'm not a fan of splitting file systems between disparate disks (one or
the other dies, there went half your os), unless you're just creating a
dump drive for stuff like movies and such on a spinner.

Apple isn't exactly doing magic with their use of a ssd as a cache, as
usual they just sell it as such and make it brainless for users to take
advantage.  Look up dm-cache, flashcache, or bcache for the same thing
under linux, where dm-cache is built into newer kernels as part of lvm
(maybe bcache too).

-mb