Multiple drives

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jun 6 10:06:44 MST 2016

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 23:34:14 -0700
Stephen M <smelheim85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to find documentation to tell me whats the best setup when
> partitioning 2 drives.  Does it make since to have root and boot on
> one drive and then everything else on a 2nd drive?

Makes perfect sense if one of them is a SSD. Put all the unchanging
stuff on the SSD, and boot to it. The spinning disk contains all the
writeable stuff.

For instance, my Daily Driver Desktop (DDD) has / on a 256GB SSD,
and /usr is there too. /home and /var and some of my special data
directories are mounted on my spinning drives. This gives a lightning
fast running of software, but the size of spinning disks.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb