Darn lightning....

KevinO kevin at kevino.org
Wed Jun 1 17:08:24 MST 2016

On 06/01/2016 04:31 PM, Michael wrote:
> The modem and the tv computer. The modem is on the sure protector though....

I took a direct hit to an antenna mast attached to the back of our house last
September. (It melted the top of the antenna and sent molten sparks across the
roof and onto the ground. A neighbor was looking directly at it when it happened)

Most of my computers continued running unscathed. But.... A lot of stuff got
fried. A big screen TV, A/V receiver, Cable modem, Caller ID box, two ethernet
switches, the USB port of one printer, the video card in a workstation, the power
supply in a computer that was turned off (and on an elaborate surge protector),
the custom-made controller for our swamp cooler... Too much to list. It even
killed the compressor in our refrigerator! My neighbors on both sides of me took
some damage too. A least it didn't set the house on fire. ;-)

The antenna and mast were both grounded at the time.

A surge suppressor won't do much good if you get a direct hit.

--
KevinO