Holy desktops!!! Bumblebee and Optimus are now working

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 09:07:10 MST 2016

Odd KDE multi-monitor behavior with Optimus.

I have it working, and for the most part its great. But what i am getting
now is some really strange behavior with Nvidia and Intel graphics.

Everything comes up and renders beautifully. I can even arrange them and
move things back and forth. But anytime i move to the Intel controlled
monitor (in this case laptop display) it slides the Nvidia controlled
screens off to the side (or up if i set it below).

I have no idea where this behavior is controlled from and my google
searching is coming up with nothing like it before. And while technically
functional its kind of weird and not very helpful behavior.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Stephen Partington <cryptworks at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I finally got Optimus and Bumblebee working with the multiple GPU's and
> whatnot going on in this dell Laptop I am running.
>
> Preface:
> Optimus - http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html
> BumbleBee - http://bumblebee-project.org/
>
> I used the following resources to get things going.
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee#Installation
>
> https://lenovolinux.blogspot.si/2016/05/bumblebee-on-lenovo-t440p-nvidia-gt.html
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/758972/does-ubuntu-16-04-support-hybrid-graphics-cards-bumblebee
>
> https://rajat-osgyan.blogspot.com/2016/04/how-to-install-latest-nvidia-drivers-on.html
>
> specifically I added this repo (from phoronix)  ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
>
> then chose the nvidia-361 package for the nvidia drivers. and installed
> everything with a single apt install line
>
> bumblebee-nvidia nvidia-361 bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus
> primus-libs-ia32 nvidia-settings
>
> I reinstalled from scratch to change FS, enable LVM, and remove the ghetto
> dual boot I had, and when doing so i used the 16.04 server installation so
> I could install the part i needed and make the changes i needed to configs,
> and install KDE 5 from ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
>
> ps Add your repo for the graphics drivers, then do an apt dist-upgrade,
> then do the apt install lines. you can then install kde vi their backports
> repo and an apt install kde-desktop.
>
> Overall everything works only issue i have is a sliding desktop that shows
> up in my current monitor config that i have not had a chance to hunt down
> and disable.

> Stephen

Stephen