Looking to convert document formats for resumes?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Jul 21 11:59:57 MST 2016

Am 20. Jul, 2016 schwätzte Stephen Partington so:

> I just recently found a plugin for LibreOffice that does multiple formats
> at the same time on save.
>
> http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/multisave-1

Cool. I need to try that out as well.

This type of thing ( along with dozens of versions of mahjongg ) is
actually a great selling point for Free Software.

A few years ago I was pulling data for researchers who were then creating
hundred page papers based on their analysis of the data. The person in
the cubicle with me was printing out the papers, then muttering under her
breath as she returned to her computer to make a small fix and print it
out again.

I inquired into the issue. She was printing, then finding small errors. I
asked why she wasn't inspecting the PDF before printing. At this point
most of her team, my customers, was listening to the conversation and they
all wondered how they could see the PDF since it was only available in the
printer.

Windows was missing some basic functionality I had had via Free Software
since the 90s. It turns out they couldn't print to a PDF file. I showed
them a Free Software tool from PortableApps.com. It was immediately
installed on all of their computers.

Just by being able to print to PDF that Free Software saved the company
thousands of dollars in wasted printouts and tens of thousands of dollars
in wasted employee time. It was also better than the Adobe tools for what
they wanted to do, so improved productivity and greatly reduced employee
frustration. In the end it shaved days and often more than a week off the
time it took to prepare a paper.

They also became fans of PortableApps and found other Free Software that
was useful :).

ciao,

der.hans