Cox Business Internet

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Sun Jul 3 18:50:28 MST 2016

What got me even considering this is that at my house, with 150mb
service and a few devices streaming and playing games my general
download speeds and browsing speeds become noticeably bad despite my
speedtests continuously showing awesome speeds.

But at my office, with 50 or so other people using the same Cox
dedicated business account with 100mb speeds, it is consistently faster
than my house. And at the office most people are streaming music and or
netflix while surfing the web, despite all of that traffic speedtests
and general surfing speed is noticeably faster.

My assumption was the dedicated 100mb vs my shared 150mb and I thought
maybe a dedicated 25mb would be cool, plus a bonus of ports I want.

But you are saying there is not difference in the network makes me
really suspicious. What else could be different?

On 2016-07-03 12:32, Michael Butash wrote:
> Residential and Business *are* the same infrastructure when it comes
> to Cox HFC.  The only thing that differentiates a business customer
> from residential is the boot file pushed to the modem at boot, the
> speed set up/down, and ip/port access list allowed through.  Of course
> your bill too, nice little racket they have going to sell perceived
> value as *business* service is somehow really better...
>
> I wouldn't plan on google coming to you unless you're moving to some
> swank new subburb of ticky tacky little boxes, but cox can provide
> enough bandwidth over hfc you shouldn't care.  Thus why they reclaimed
> more of their OTA (over coax rather) spectrum of free/unencrypted
> channels so they can resell it for data services bonding up to 32
> channels @ ~42mbit ea or 1.4gbit max.
>
> Best thing about fiber is that glass (in theory) is less prone to
> dysfunction than copper @ 140 degree surface ground temps.  Less
> having to have the provider re-terminate your copper every few years
> here...
>
> -mb
>

> On 07/02/2016 01:52 PM, Todd Cole wrote:
>> I stuck with Residential for the speed, down time seems to be the same as business accounts tho business do get 24/7 service calls and support. a little port work and dns hop was easy to do. And I do prefer Cox vs CL  but
>> Google could be the future---maybe
>> Todd

- --
Nathan England