photos

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun Jan 31 17:24:20 MST 2016

What he was talking about is a special type of scanner or an accessory
that you have to get with your scanner.
They are usually sold as transparency scanners if they can light the
whole scanning area, or they are sold as transparency or negative
scanners if they only back light a subset of the scanning area.

When you scan something in transparency mode the scanner has to turn off
it's regular light that lights from under the document and turn on a
light, that shines through the document/slide/transparenty...etc.etc..

I've tended to spend the extra money to get the transparency feature,
and it's proved to be handy more than what I had originally thought,
especially now with all the photos going digital.   I've even used my
scanner's slide feature to pull details out of some old negatives that
came from a mystery roll of film that had been sitting around for
years.  Once the negatives were developed they appeared to be completely
blank, so I wasn't even charged anything for them.  But when I ran them
though my scanner and did some gimp magic I could see that there really
was something there... turns out it wasn't anything I was interesting in
keeping, but at least I know that for a fact now :)

Brian Cluff