Invalid argument (22) and rsync

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sat Jan 30 09:43:06 MST 2016

You can't rename files that way.  The * on the command line gets turned
into real file names by bash before they are ever given to the mv
command so you are tell the command line to consist of any files with a
: followed by any files with an = or -.
At best your command will error out, at worst it will overwrite an
existing file.
What you are needing is a program that can take a pattern and rename
files with a different pattern.  There are 2 that I've used, mmv and
rename.  Of the 2, you probably have rename on your system already since
it gets pulled in with PERL.  If not, just install the rename package.

With rename all you have to do is:
rename 's/:/-/' *

That will use a regular expression to change all the files in the
current directory that contain a : in their name to the same name with a
- replacing the :.

Be very very careful with the rename command, it can and will clobber
every file that it touches before you know it just because you got a
single character out of place.
When in doubt add the -n option so that it will tell you what it's going
to do without actually doing it.  Then if everything looks good, run the
command again without the -n to actually make the changes.

Brian Cluff