Invalid argument (22) and rsync

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Sat Jan 30 08:29:53 MST 2016

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Michael <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> the filesystem is probably FAT because it is a thumb drive....
> rsync: mkstemp
> "/media/bmike1/RedSanDisk/Documents/Education/Darktable/.darktable-1:10WaterLilyEdit.CccL3o"
> failed: Invalid argument (22)

It is not possible to have a ':' character in a filename on a FAT-based
filesystem.  This is because that character was used to denote which
disk drive a file was on back in the DOS days... "C:\junk\stuff.txt" and
so forth.

I am not sure what these hidden files contain, or whether they're
actually important.  You can pass the "--exclude *\:*" option to rsync
to tell it to not try to transfer files that contain ':' characters,
which may help.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity