Change the filesystem on sd cards/usb sticks (was- Permissions)

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Jan 18 10:50:21 MST 2016

On 2016-01-18 10:22, Michael Havens wrote:
> so no go on the sd cards then. what about thumb drives?

Putting non-FAT filesystems on USB disks works just fine.  Most modern
BIOSes will happily read and boot from an ISO9660 or UDF filesystem
that's been dd'ed to a USB disk.  An ext3 filesystem on a USB disk is
totally feasible; my removable backup drives are ext3.  The only real
problem with using ext3 on a removable disk is that it's a pain to read
that disk from an OS X machine.  (Windows has ext2ifs, which allows
Windows to treat an ext3 partition as just another drive.)

I don't think that using ext3 on a flash-memory device would improve
the device's lifetime though.  Flash-memory devices almost always have
wear-leveling built in at a level lower than the block device layer.
Logical sector 1 may be mapped to physical sector 4567, and that mapping
may change at any time.  They had to do this, because the FAT is always
in the same set of logical sectors, and is written to frequently.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity