restore with rsync or fix window manager

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 11:22:37 MST 2016

I got the answer to the trailing slash question: the trailing / on the
destination directory makes no difference. Put a / on the source directory
determines whether you copy the source folder and its contents vs. leaving
the / slash and getting only the contents of the source directory (but not
the directory name itself) in the copy.

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com> wrote:

> On 01/10/2016 04:52 AM, Michael Havens wrote:
>
>> really? So are you saying that with ubuntu you do not need to have a home
>> partition?
>>
> You don't NEED to have a home partition on any Linux distribution, it can
> just be a good idea, especially if you change out distributions a lot since
> a separate partition would allow you to preserve your user files between
> installs.  I tend to just put everything in one partition for most simple
> desktop installs since it eliminates having to juggle partitions around or
> play with LVM later if we find to need move space around.  It's almost
> never a problem.
>
>> so I did verify that the problem is my user as I created another account
>> and logged in and everything is fine
>>
> Great, sounds like you can just get rid of config files and then see about
> fixing your packages later and save yourself a bunch of time.
>
>> Here is something weird that happened: I was working on my computer and
>> had a glass of wine. I then went to bed and woke at like 2AM. After waking
>> I went into the computer room and had no internet. I went back to bed at
>> this point to wake at 6 to find I still had no internet. So I called Cox to
>> hear the familiar 'we don't support Linux but everything is fine on our
>> end.'  So I restart the computer and internet was back.
>>
> Best guess.  The cable modem needed to be reset and then your network
> connection needed to be told to get another IP via DHCP which was
> accomplished by rebooting.  You could have probably just told your computer
> to get another IP address and that could have worked just as well.
>
> Brian Cluff