OT: Copying text from PDF to text on Mac corrupts words containing "t"

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sat Jan 9 19:17:50 MST 2016

On 01/09/2016 05:26 PM, Victor Odhner wrote:
> Many words containing “ti” or “tt” or some other combinations with
> the letter “t” get corrupted when I use copy and paste, from PDF
> text that looks normal. Some software interprets the PDF correctly
> for display and printing, and some software fails to understand this
> encoding involving the letter “t”.

My best guess would be that they are using some form of font ligature so
that tt, ti and probably ff fi etc etc get transformed into a different
unicode character that doesn't exist in the font that the application
that you are pasting to is using.

> Of course if someone can tell me a better way to save Thunderbird
> messages with headers into a document...

Just right click on the message and select "Save As".  In the lower left
corner change "All Files" to "Text Files", then make sure to change the
file name suffix to .txt and you should get a clean text copy complete
with the headers.

Brian Cluff