restore with rsync or fix window manager

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sat Jan 9 07:51:38 MST 2016

The packages on your system were already in a bad state when I
recommended you do that.  While the dist-upgrade might have lead to some
of your computers symptoms, it was not the ultimate cause of your problems.
One thing that could happen with a dist-upgrade that won't happen with a
plain upgrade in that it can remove (and add) packages in order to make
your system completely up to date.  You shouldn't ever have a problem,
but under very rare circumstances, the system will try to uninstall
important packages that make your system run. Usually after you've done
something weird to your system, or when you've installed someone's PPA
who doesn't know what they are doing with dependencies.
I'd suggest that you need to run dist-upgrade more often, not less or
not at all.  On all my systems, I ONLY do dist-upgrade, I can't even
remember the last time I did a simple upgrade.  Running it more often
will keep your system more up to date and put all the necessary packages
on your system for the software to work correctly rather than putting a
subset of packages that will leave your system more and more out of date.

Think about it this way.  A piece of software has a security problem or
wants to add features and the fix is to add in a new library that does
something that fixes the problem.  If you just do an upgrade then apt
will not upgrade that piece of software at all because it would require
it to also install an additional package{s).  Now if there are other
pieces of software that say they want a certain version of the first
program in order to satisfy their dependencies those also won't get
upgraded.  Do this over and over and before too long you have system
where your desktop is in a very strange state where it up to date in
some places and out of date in others.

It's best just to keep it completely up to date in the first place with
dist-upgrade.

Brian Cluff