2016

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Fri Jan 1 23:30:13 MST 2016

The fix for the 32bit time problem didn't have anything to do with
running 64bit machines since the problem is also fixed on 32 bit
machines.  The problem is old code that specifies a 32bit number, even
if it's running on a 64bit machine.
If any of that old code is still in use in 22 years, and we've all seen
the articles where the airlines are still using some systems from the
70s and such.  There will certainly still be old software being used in
22 years....  even if it's been compiled for and running on new 128bit
systems of the future.  Unless the time code has been updated, that
software is going to do weird things.

I'm not saying we should panic because, like you said, it will be 22
years from now, and the vast majority of scomputer systems will be
replaced, but it's not something people can assume isn't going to happen
at all.... I'm guessing a lot of people in what will be classic cars
will be getting some nasty/funny surprises... and government computers
are totally known to be kept completely up to date ;)

Brian Cluff