rsync advice

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue Feb 2 11:37:13 MST 2016

If I remember right, you added the --delete-before option because you
were backing up to a flash drive and without deleting deleted files
prior to starting the copy you were running out of space causing your
backup to fail.

The only real difference that you will see between delete-before and
delete-during is where rsync has to do a complete read through the whole
file structure.  If you are using delete-before, rsync HAS to read
through the whole file structure so that it can determine which files to
delete before it starts it's copy.  If you use --delete-during, which I
believe is the default, rsync CAN, depending on other options, start
copying right away.  That can be a huge time saver.  On some of the
systems I backup were are so any files that it can take a half hour
before the copy even starts if rsync can't start copying immediately.
My guess would be that on your system with a single user being backed up
that using --delete-before doesn't cause much more than a few seconds
extra to pass before the copy starts.
If you're no longer using a flash drive to backup and have plenty of
space now, you might as well take the --delete-before off and leave
rsync to it's default behavior.

Brian Cluff