cyanogen/LineageOS phone recommendations

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Dec 30 16:53:01 MST 2016

I have been using Sony Xperia android phones for a long time now.  They are
one of the few that told microsoft to shove it with their patent extortion,
and their top-spec hardware is generally capable of being unlocked and
romable with xda love.

Currently using a Z5 Compact, haven't unlocked it to maintain security
updates, and not too annoying not having root.  Prior I had a Z1 Compact,
and a number of the Xperia Mini phones that were all bl-unlocked and
rommed.  I always prefer a small phone, the original mini's were 3"
androids, and still my favorite phones.  I have to settle for a large 4.6"
in the "compacts" now for modern hardware, but they're pretty nice, and the
bigger cousins for the giant phone crowds just have better displays.  They
usually do a 5.2" and a mega 6".

Only good reason to upgrade beyond a Z3 was the fingerprint reader, but Z5
is nice with it for a convenient security mechanism for using it.  The
current X Compact and XA bigger 5.2" were selling for less than 300 dollars
around black friday, deals can be had.