cyanogen/LineageOS phone recommendations

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Dec 28 13:31:18 MST 2016

Am 28. Dec, 2016 schwätzte Stephen Partington so:

moin moin,

> The Samsung J7 is actually a good price point. As is the Moto G. and they
> are popular enough to have some XDA love
> http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-j7

Had never heard of the j7. Looks good. More expensive than I was planning,
but long-term value might make it worth it.

Moto G has some better price point options :).

Is Motorola ( now Lenovo ) still not paying the microsoft patent
extortions?

Did Motorola change it's stance against unlocking bootloaders? I believe
it did, but don't remember. Haven't looked at anyting Motorola for years
due to Motorola's refusal to support unlocking bootloaders.

I like that both have microSD card slots. That's the biggest missing
feature for Nexus phones.

I forgot to mention that I love wireless charging.

I see there's a Qi wireless charging kit for the j7, but it's 4,000
something. Hope it's a lot less in dollars :).

ciao,

der.hans

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:43 PM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> work requires a couple of applications I refuse to install on my personal
>> phone, so I need a secondary phone.
>>
>> Any recommendation considering the following?
>>
>> I would like to go with LineageOS[0] once it's up and running or some other
>> 'as free as practical' Android fork.
>>
>> I would love a Plasma phone or maybe even an Ubuntu phone, but need to
>> grab some proprietary apps from the Android app store, so they're not much
>> of an option for this particular case[1].
>>
>> I would prefer a phone with a working FM radio.
>>
>> In general, I prefer Samsung hardware.
>>
>> Cost is a large factor for this purchase. I will likely be trying to find
>> someting on the second hand or refurb market. I'm perfectly fine with old
>> hardware provided I can continue getting software updates.
>>
>> Currently using t-mobile, but would prefer something with radios for all
>> the carriers[2].
>>
>> [0] In the midst of forking from cyanogen now that it has closed down.
>>
>> http://lineageos.org/Yes-this-is-us/
>>
>> [1] There is the possibility of buying a new primary phone and making my
>> current phone the secondary. I presume this option is more expensive than
>> I can commit to the purchase.
>>
>> [2] Not that Verizon is an option for me until it stops fighting net
>> neutrality.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
>> #  "The important thing is not to stop questioning; curiosity has its own
>> #  reason for existing." -- Albert Einstein

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  When you are tired of choosing the lesser of two evils,
#  Vote Cthulhu for President!