Arch migration (success!!)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Dec 20 00:09:06 MST 2016

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 23:17:38 -0700
Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

> I really had no idea GPT was such an anomaly still.  Everything I
> read was like "just do it!".  Not.

At this point in time, laptop hard disks still aren't big enough to
require EFI, and desktops have multiple disks. So what I do on laptops
that can still do MBR is MBR format the hard disk.

With my daily driver desktop, with a 4TB disk, and a 3TB disk, and a
256GB SSD, I MBR boot to the SSD, which also contains the whole /usr
and /etc tree for easy bootability in these days of symlinked /usr. So
I get the advantages of GPT on my large disks, the simple booting of
MBR on my SSD: It works fast and beautifully.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21