Sec. 1706 of the Tax Code

David Schwartz newsletters at thetoolwiz.com
Sun Dec 11 19:53:55 MST 2016

Sorry, I really fail to see your point in all of this. You’re actually supporting my claims even though you’re twisting my words.

I’ve worked in the high-tech world my entire career, and it’s the one I know the most about. So if you’re trying to extrapolate what I’m saying to other fields, you’re on your own.

As I stated, and you pointed out, Sec 1706 eliminated the “safe harbor provision” for *EMPLOYERS* IN THE HIGH-TECH INDUSTRY — which is established by SIC codes that apply to the EMPLOYER. The companies you cited are excluded. So why make examples of them when they don’t apply?

It’s nice that you thought to support exactly what I stated in that it does NOT APPLY OUTSIDE of the HIGH-TECH industry, which is a topic about which I’m not qualified to speak.

And I *NEVER* said that single-member business entites are bad or illegal or anything of the sort. Nice of you to twist my words several times, tho.

I merely stated that, for reasons that most people do not grasp, there are places (in the HIGH-TECH WORLD) that will not do business with single-member LLCs.

I’ve run into SEVERAL! So don’t tell me I’m full of crap. When they refused to explain why, I asked my CPA and HE explained it to me.

Look up “charging orders” for LLCs and how they put creditors at risk of paying income taxes to the LLC from earnings that taxes are due on but have yet to be distributed to members.

This is real. It applies to every LLC, and it causes trouble for lots and lots every year, but most acutely to single-member LLCs because … well, I’m not going to explain it again. You obviously don’t care.

I’m told this is why people in the real estate industry love LLCs — because you can win a lawsuit and never collect a dime without them ever filing BK. Instead, you can get stuck on the hook for your share of quarterly income taxes due by the LLC (as a creditor), based on the size of judgment you got relative to their assets and cashflow. It’s one reason why they typically put one asset into every LLC — they can simply abandon the LLC with the charging order by selling the asset for pennies to another LLC.

Nobody in their right mind gets a charging order against LLCs if they win a lawsuit and judgment, unless it’s a large, multimember / multimanager LLC that has virtually no chance of halting distributions indefinitely in order to avoid paying against the charging order.

Single-member LLCs for people employed in the HIGH-TECH INDUSTRY represent extremely high risks in that scenario. Great for the LLC owner/member, VERY BAD for the HIGH-TECH employer. Regular Corporations (both C and S Corps) are not subject to this problem.

-David "The Tool Wiz" Schwartz