H1B Visa

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Dec 11 08:35:04 MST 2016

Is this a programming / sys admin phenomena or is it across the board
within all industries?  I have always thought of technology in the terms
of sports.  We all knew that guy or gal in high school that was a gifted
athlete, however they did not go beyond high school.

Out of all the gifted athlete in high school only a percentage go on to
college sports.  Some will make it to the farm team.  And only a handful
will make it to the pros.  I think technology is much the same.  To go
far in technology one needs to have that gift.

Over the years I have run into people who appear to be skilled
programmers or system admin that are not working in technology or are
underemployed.

Is it a problem with getting the first job?  Once you have that first
job one can build from there?

I watched a guy start at inbound GoDaddy level 1 tech, moved to another
hosting company where he was a lead with sudo, to being a sys admin.

Maybe this is anecdotal.  I don't necessarily think so....  This is how
I have seen people progress all my life. I'm open to hearing more.

One of the things I am not open to is gov interference or anything gov
funded.

Maybe the real problem is we do not have all the manufacturing jobs we
once had - those good paying manufacturing jobs.

On 2016-12-10 21:30, Stephen M wrote:
> Since I am a millennium I thought I should chip in at least once.
> Although this thread started has H1B which actually hurts both the
> foreign worker and the American work that's my stance there.  The
> American worker is losing their job to someone that will take a lot
> less but do the same work.  The foreign worker because they are being
> paid less and although there are places to live that are dirt cheap
> they are not always the best.  The economy has suffered for years and
> there are too many contributing factors to name.
>
> Now the last couple of arguments are more hitting home.  Yes I have a
> bachelors and a couple of certificates, working on more certificates,
> but still working help desk.  Do I know more than that sure.  Could I
> work in a different place that could accelerate my
> learning/understanding/knowledge whatever you want to call it yes.
> When my father was young he went to the military and went to school
> That was the first time he really touched a computer.  So in those
> days yes it was almost handed to people to have jobs.  Nowadays it's
> more of who you know rather than what you know.  I can't tell you how
> many "network technicians" I've helped over the years to configure a
> router.  I've worked to get where I am and struggling to move around.
> But it's not only my location but also my type of degree.  CIS is not
> the most notable computer degree out there.  But beyond that I have
> certificates, practice my *nix skills at home.  But they don't mean
> anything to the work place.  My other degree would be in business
> management so hopefully I'm not stepping on feet here.
>
> On the one hand you need to have the education and knowledge how to do
> what you work with.  Getting a good paying job doesn't only help with
> that whether the company is paying for the training or not.  But you
> also need to be physically strong and mentally healthy.  So getting
> paid a living wage is necessary to have both of those.  Sure you could
> be poor and be laid back and still get a decent job.  But to uplift
> yourself does take a degree of basic needs.  From economics when a
> people can satisfy their basic needs then they start to look at other
> needs. Now onto the reverse, like I said I've worked with enough
> technicians setup a router for nothing more than simple routing.
> These people properly knew someone and then they got hired and make
> decent money.  So they could have high marks, certificates, and all
> other form of so called knowledge that means nothing.  Yet they are
> still making big bucks.
>
> The take away here hopefully is one, foreign workers aren't getting
> screwed any less than American workers.   You need to have your basic
> needs met first before you can worry about uplifting yourself.  And
> last but not least not trying to sound like a recruiter but getting to
> know someone these days is a necessary.  Just please don't call tech
> [...]

Keith Smith