H1B Visa

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Dec 8 13:23:31 MST 2016

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 12:56:16 -0700
Vara La Fey <varalafey at gmail.com> wrote:

> I sympathize on what a friend calls "the purple squirrel syndrome".
>
> Min wage laws make everything worse. Look at CA. Everyone's expenses
> go up, so everyone lays off or tightens budgets.

Oh, come on, not that tired crap again!

You like not having to spend money to hire your own private army? You
like not having your car broken into or stolen once a month?  You like
not having to tote an AR-15 everywhere you go because there's war on
the streets?

If you like those things, you'd better make sure life doesn't get too
miserable for too many, because insurrection follows. And one great way
to limit misery is to pay a wage that puts a roof over the head and
food on the table, and that's the job of a minimum wage.

I know, I know, you purple squirrels whip out your elasticity curves to
claim that unemployment goes up with a minimum wage, creating even more
misery. What is more likely, especially given the last 4 decades'
suppression of unions, is that repeal of the minimum wage sends the pay
of convenience store clerks and construction laborers down to $2.00/hr.
Back in 2003 I had a buddy who worked construction, and he said several
of his coworkers did contruction by day and robbed houses by night.
Imagine how much such "moonlighting" would increase if workers got only
$16.00 for a full day shift's work, when their part of the rent is $400.

A full time job that can't keep a person fed and out of the rain isn't
a job at all. Morally it shouldn't be legal, and practically allowing
such jobs brings societal breakdown.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz