An Internet Giveaway to the U.N.

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Aug 30 19:57:09 MST 2016

For the most part you are talking network.  Which is needed, however the
real control comes with root server oversight.  I would agree the
network needs to improve.  the U.N. will not own our U.S. Internet
network.  They may have some oversight which we can refuse at some time
and just add our own root servers and make a 2nd Internet within the
U.S.

On 2016-08-29 21:45, Steve Litt wrote:
> LOL, I did everything but answer your question, which was "what is the
> problem with using the existing Internet:
>
> 1) In dozens of ways, including the "UN connection", or government
>    snooping or corporate snooping or other ways I haven't begun to
>    think of, the Internet and/or its associated DNS system could "go
>    bad".
>
> 2) The current US Internet horribly underserves a lot of rural
>    communities.
>
> 3) In most US locations, connecting to the Internet is an oligopoly,
>    with the attendant high prices and lower quality.
>
> It's possible (though challenging), that a network created and
> maintained by private citizens could help all three situations.
>
> SteveT
>

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 00:33:38 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
>> You (Keith) mentioned the UN/DNS connection, and the non-political
>> portion of the thread flowed from possible solutions if the UN thing
>> ever came to pass. Eventually it got to mesh, or peer to peer, or
>> whatever you call it, and one person said he wished the solution's
>> communication points could span a mile. I suggested a laserbeam, and
>> somebody suggested the Ubiquity Networks equipment, and I responded
>> with it being a good idea with some big challenges.
>>
>> SteveT
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 19:38:44 -0700
>> Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>
>> > What is the problem with using the existing Internet?

Keith Smith