An Internet Giveaway to the U.N.

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Aug 30 19:53:14 MST 2016

I probably should have been more forthcoming.  What I was wondering is
why can't we use the existing Internet infrastructure?

What the U.N. would get is oversight of the root servers. If this fails,
or even goes a little bad there might be an uprising and a new American
Internet could be created.  New root servers and a modification to the
browsers to search the new root servers.

On 2016-08-29 21:33, Steve Litt wrote:
> You (Keith) mentioned the UN/DNS connection, and the non-political
> portion of the thread flowed from possible solutions if the UN thing
> ever came to pass. Eventually it got to mesh, or peer to peer, or
> whatever you call it, and one person said he wished the solution's
> communication points could span a mile. I suggested a laserbeam, and
> somebody suggested the Ubiquity Networks equipment, and I responded
> with it being a good idea with some big challenges.
>
> SteveT
>
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 19:38:44 -0700
> Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the problem with using the existing Internet?
>>

>> > No doubt that's fascinating. From a brief read it seems to fit the
>> > bill quite nicely from a technological viewpoint.
>> >
>> > Some potential challenges remain:
>> >
>> > A lot of people would be willing to buy a $100 repeater for the
>> > good of the community, but $999, probably not. Those who purchase
>> > the $999 would probably resell, and control, etc.
>> >
>> > It's proprietary technology, which doesn't cross my eyes too much,
>> > ASSUMING all proprietorisms are self-contained. What would be a
>> > problem would be Windows-only control software, or inability to
>> > connect via normal hardware and software connectors to a machine of
>> > any random OS.
>> >
>> > Then there's the problem that if we ever got this no government, no
>> > corporation network running, Google or Sprint or Amazon or T-mobile
>> > or whomever could buy Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. and install backdoors,
>> > listening posts and tollgates to basically ruin what we did and use
>> > it for their cash cow.
>> >
>> > None of the potential problems I stated above should detract from
>> > investigating Ubiquiti Networks or similar equipment. It's really
>> > got some potential.
>> >

>> > SteveT
>> >
>> > Steve Litt
>> > August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
>> > Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
>> > http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr

Keith Smith