An Internet Giveaway to the U.N.

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Aug 29 19:18:27 MST 2016

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:00:36 -0700
Eric Cope <eric.cope at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Steve Litt
> <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 21:53:09 +0000 (GMT)
> > stevensspam at cox.net wrote:
> >
> > > * If I'm going to dream, figure a wireless networking standard
> > > that can operate at say a mile's range, even something that drops
> > > to dialup speeds when it's unlicensed and thus you have lots of
> > > people using it.
> >
> > Obviously you can operate at a mile if you up the wattage, but then
> > that's illegal, and if it weren't, there would be pirates, jammers,
> > who knows what else.
> >
> > If you're just talking about the occasional mile span to cross a
> > river or something, I think you might be able to span it with one
> > of those green laser pens, suitably modulated to carry everyone's
> > conversations. It would have to be kept precisely aimed, there'd
> > need to be a low frequency filter to filter out vibrations, there
> > must be line of site, and creating a man in the middle attack would
> > be just a matter of intercepting and retransmitting the green light.
> >
> > SteveT

> you could just use this: https://www.ubnt.com/products/

No doubt that's fascinating. From a brief read it seems to fit the bill
quite nicely from a technological viewpoint.

Some potential challenges remain:

A lot of people would be willing to buy a $100 repeater for the good of
the community, but $999, probably not. Those who purchase the $999
would probably resell, and control, etc.

It's proprietary technology, which doesn't cross my eyes too much,
ASSUMING all proprietorisms are self-contained. What would be a problem
would be Windows-only control software, or inability to connect via
normal hardware and software connectors to a machine of any random OS.

Then there's the problem that if we ever got this no government, no
corporation network running, Google or Sprint or Amazon or T-mobile or
whomever could buy Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. and install backdoors,
listening posts and tollgates to basically ruin what we did and use it
for their cash cow.

None of the potential problems I stated above should detract from
investigating Ubiquiti Networks or similar equipment. It's really got
some potential.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
  Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr