An Internet Giveaway to the U.N.

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Aug 29 15:26:13 MST 2016

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 21:53:09 +0000 (GMT)
stevensspam at cox.net wrote:

> * If I'm going to dream, figure a wireless networking standard that
> can operate at say a mile's range, even something that drops to
> dialup speeds when it's unlicensed and thus you have lots of people
> using it.

Obviously you can operate at a mile if you up the wattage, but then
that's illegal, and if it weren't, there would be pirates, jammers, who
knows what else.

If you're just talking about the occasional mile span to cross a river
or something, I think you might be able to span it with one of those
green laser pens, suitably modulated to carry everyone's conversations.
It would have to be kept precisely aimed, there'd need to be a low
frequency filter to filter out vibrations, there must be line of site,
and creating a man in the middle attack would be just a matter of
intercepting and retransmitting the green light.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
  Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr