MacBook

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at icloud.com
Thu Aug 25 20:55:39 MST 2016

hmm.
that sounds like a bad situation all around. getting fired for not being able to do a job because the job couldn't be done due to a software breakage? that has all the earmarks of a n unjustifiable termination lawsuit to me.

anyway, it doesn't seem to matter what platform it is, there are issues with security updates that tend to break other things.

Now, I know there is a simple solution to this problem, but every time I try to put thought to paper (or E-paper in this case), I run into the devil in the details.

Now, one of the items I have noticed about OS X and it's ability to just work is this:
each application (which turns out to be an executable folder) contains not only the core application, but any libraries and other needed items to make it function. this means that the system doesn't have to manage those (unlike windows, where all the dynamically linked libraries are managed by the OS). THis method seems (I won't say that it does actually) to have far less breakages than windows (or even some more specialized apps in Linux).

Unfortuately, there are just some security updates (at the kernel level) that will always end up breaking things elsewhere. To me, this sounds like increased testing and simulation are needed to weed out the bugs (oh wait! we have that! it's called the user base).

SOme of us, like me, just aren't coders (I have long since left that behind as there were just too many changes to try and keep up with) but we can still make decent testers.

anyway, it sounds to me like we need to adopt some of the apple method here. Instead of having system level libraries that handle the heavy lifting, that each app  have it all compiled in. This should cut down on a lot of issues, although it might introduce others.

-eric