MacBook

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at icloud.com
Wed Aug 24 12:31:37 MST 2016

yes, as my old 2007 whitebook can attest. unfortunately, the software and some of the apps are no longer supported and getting anything newer on here just isn't going to happen. where does this leave me? well, stuck on old hardware that is becoming less and less useful as apps and web design make it harder to cope. At some point, I just might decide to put paid to OS X lion and do a full linux install on here.

SOme of the features of OS X that I will miss:
keychains (this password vault has been a lifesaver)
apps that "just work" without having to tweak or prod.
easy to use interface for the blind (voiceover)
and just about anything else not covered by the above.

SOme things I am looking forward to as I transition to Linux on this device:
upgraded applications capable of new and interesting things
support for apps that use GTK, perl, ruby, and other scripts/programming languages that can be easily adapted for the blind (hell, all the libraries to do this are built in).
enhanced performance (linux still has the lowest overhead of any OS I know of other than OpenBSD).
Security (windows still can't touch this!).
access to utilities and applications not readily available on other platforms.
OPEN SORCE
mostly free (or low cost through donation) - I am willing to pay if my budget supports it.

now, I have been a long time user of Linux (really since almost its beginnings) and also a longtime member of PLUG (one of the original steering committee members here!).

Still, there is something to be said for an OS/machine that "just works". I just wish apple would hop on the Linux bandwagon and offer an alternative OS for those times when OS X seems too bloated.

-Eric (founder of the Technomage Guild)