MacBook

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Wed Aug 24 08:30:32 MST 2016

Hi,

I'm strongly considering buying a Macbook pro.

I'm a LAMP (PHP) developer.  Currently I use Mint on a Dell.  Both
laptop and desktop. I do have a Dell laptop that runs M$ 10.  Was a bad
move upgrading from M$7 to M$10... another story for another day.

The reason for my desired move is I want something that just works.  I
do not have the time nor do I have the expertise to maintain Linux Mint
when there is an issue.  For instance Dropbox does not launch correctly.
I have a work around, but do not want to have to figure this stuff out.
JoinMe.com does no work completely on my Linux desktop and I need it so
I use my Windows laptop.  I can watch but I cannot become the presenter.

Moving to Mac is purely a business decision.

Up to this point I have bought cheap on sale Dell.

I also need Virtualbox because I need to develop using PHP 5.6 and PHP
7.

In doing my research I have narrowed my search to the Macbook Pro 13.3
or 15.4 inch models.  I'm leaning towards the 15.4 since it has 16GB of
RAM.  I suspect with the SSD drives these Macs have to sing.

My shock is the $2000 price tag.  Yikes.  I'm used to cheap dell
hardware that I pay $300 to $400 for on sale.  I can see Best Buy is
selling the MacBook at a slightly discounted price.

If I can be just a little more productive the Mac will pay for itself in
no time.

The other thing I like about the Pro is it allows for driving two
external monitors.  At the resolution the Pro provides that should be a
lot of real estate give the laptop monitor makes 3. The only downside I
am aware of is with the external monitors the refresh rate drops to
30Hz.  I think someone on this list brought that up and they did not
like that low of a refresh rate.

I think I would find iMovie and Pages useful.  And I could add an iPhone
to the mix and utilize those benefits.

If I buy the Mackbook pro 15.4 inch with 16GB of RAM what would be a
reasonable life expectancy in a production environment?  What would I be
able to reasonably expect working it 12+ hours a day, day in day?

Any and every thought is much appreciated.

--
Keith Smith