green lines flicker on the screen

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 10:25:41 MST 2016

Ok, story time:

Your graphics card is actually several hundred (sometimes thousand) unique
processors tied to many different banks of ram.  They group the gpu
processors into packs of 12.  My guess is that you either have a portion of
RAM on your graphics card that goes bad under heat, or a group of
processors that aren't being cooled properly.  You could try beefing up the
cooling on your GPU, but if it's a desktop computer, I'd just replace your
graphics card.

If it's a laptop, then either call in warranty on it.

That is my guess.  In any case, a problem that doesn't show up until 30
seconds after boot is always heat-related.  Could be heat in the monitor
still, but GPU seems a bit more likely.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Michael <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> turned on the computer and no lines. after about 30 seconds they starte. I
> wiggled the hdmi cord but that had no effect on anything. I then considered
> that maybe the card unseated itself somehow so I took the card out and put
> it back in and turned the computer on and cooked an egg but the lines
> didn't start flickering again. Thanks for spurring me on guys!
>
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Also, be sure to wiggle the monitor cable at both ends and the middle,
>> while observing whether the green lines change. They could be caused by
>> a bad monitor cable, or a monitor cable that's not tightly screwed in
>> at the monitor or the computer.
>>
>> SteveT
>>
>> Steve Litt
>> April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21
>>

>> On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 00:03:21 -0700
>> Todd Millecam <tyggna at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Straight green lines usually means either a bad monitor or a bad
>> > graphics card.  It could be a driver issue as well, so reinstall your
>> > graphics card drivers first and if the problem persists, try a
>> > different monitor on the same port and replace either monitor or
>> > graphics card accordingly.

Todd Millecam