Specifying mobos: was: To Tux or not to Tux

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Apr 19 11:18:47 MST 2016

I agree here, it is an important factor, but really only to us linux
folk.  Windoze people remain blissfully ignorant mostly except when
dealing with the horrible bioses these days built for uefi.  I think diy
mobo's will remain safe, but laptops are a wildcard when dealing with
non-business class devices.  Dell seems good about keeping legacy boot
options at least, and keeping some sense of linux friendliness in
general (they do have a desktop linux mailing list people respond on).

Getting that asus laptop that would "only" do uefi was just painful as I
had ass-u-me'd that it *could* be switched to legacy boot, and delayed
my usability significantly since forcing me to learn some new method
with questionable value.  UEFI just seems like another half-way good
idea turned terrible by letting microsoft steer and dictate its
implementation, as they seemed the only one that cared, and obviously
only about the windoze implementation.

I'm all for learning something new, but not when the only value is
keeping the relevance of windoze on my hardware, which is entirely
undesirable.

-mb