compile python

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 18:56:16 MST 2016

A PPA is an individual's repository.  They're used to dristribute more
up-to-date versions of software than the distro maintainer.  A good example
of a PPA is postgresql.  They test their new builds on Ubuntu, but Ubuntu
only tests one of their builds every 6 months.  By adding the Postgresql
PPA, you can get the most up-to-date stuff in a more timely fashion.

Another good use for a PPA is for non x86-64 architectures (which the
raspberry pi is).  Adding a PPA is the same operation as adding a
repository.  apt-add-repository is the command for Ubuntu I believe.

I say this because I've attempted to compile things on a Pi 2, and it's an
overnight wait.

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 5:43 PM, koder <iscreamkid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> What load are you running on your Pi?
>
> I have the B and it comes loaded with 2.7.3, which is, for all practical
> purposes the same, I would think.
>
> This link addresses the issue in the Ubuntu environment and may be
> informative.
>
> if you are running the early Pi, perhaps yo might want to consider getting
> a second SD chip and experimenting with a newer version of Raspbian, or at
> least give yourself a spare load that you can mess up without grief.
>

> On 04/10/2016 04:34 PM, Michael wrote:
>
> my little raspberry pi needs at the least pyhon2.7.10. If it understood
> what a ppa is this would be a simple matter but as fate would have it I
> need to compile from source. Will doing that screw up anything ?
>
> --

Todd Millecam