Re: Microsoft has developed its own Linux. Repeat. Microsoft has developed its own Linux • The Register

David Schwartz newsletters at thetoolwiz.com
Fri Sep 18 10:34:23 MST 2015

I think a more interesting question is … what implications does this have on the (silly) legislation proposed that would make it illegal to tamper with device firmware?

(The intent behind the legislation appears somewhat vague, but generally tied to legitimate security concerns.)

This would seem to fly in the face of that legislation, since they seem to be moving towards, as they call it, a Software Defined Architecture that’s enabled by reprogramming the ASICs (?) on the switches.

I can see reprogramming the EEPROM, but ASICS? Or is it the same thing?

-David "The Tool Wiz" Schwartz