VPS 1 core vs 2 cores

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Sep 8 13:01:58 MST 2015

Hi,

I am wondering what your opinion is on cores and RAM when using a VPS.

I am thinking about this in the context of Drupal and Magento, both of
who are resource hogs.

I was told more RAM is much more valuable on a VPS than is the number of
cores.

I'm assuming 4G of RAM is enough to not go into swap.  I'm thinking this
should be fine for a production site with moderate traffic running
either Drupal or Magento.

As you know more cores means more money when it comes to VPS servers,
while RAM is cheap.

Of course we know opcode cache, varnish, and memcache(d) can work
wonders in speeding up websites. For this discussion lets assume we are
using none of them.

The question is, will a second core make all that much difference if
enough RAM is present to not use swap?  How would I know I need a second
core - look at the load?

And is there other consideration or things I should be looking at?

Thank you very much for all your feedback!!

Keith