When Linux provides so many high-quality operating systems of many varieties free of...? - Quora

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at icloud.com
Sun Oct 25 17:44:46 MST 2015

yes, it is. still, there is a need to know this knowledge. I do know one thing, some of the sysadmins at eBay are required to know this. They use linux in fully a 3rd of their server infrastructure. Sure, they use a lot of standard data center server blades, but someone still needs to be able to tweak the OS for peak performance (and sometimes that requires compiling a custom kernel or driver).

-eric