systemd [NOT?] (was Re: Void Linux tips)

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 09:20:33 MST 2015

hey eric,
 call asu and find out how you can get one of their old computers. i live
in gainesville and i picked up an optiplex 765 for less than $25 from the
university of florida. I'm using it to build linux from scratch. my compile
standard build time was like 12 minutes when doing it in a Virtual Machine.
Now an SBU is 2 minutes. now it is a different/newer computer so that might
have been the problem but I prefer not having to split the RAM.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Matt Graham <mhgraham at crow202.org> wrote:

> Redhat wants systemd, and many smaller distros follow Redhat's lead.
>
> On 2015-10-22 13:55, Bob Elzer wrote:
>
>> Coming from centos 6 to 7, at first I was whoa, but after seeing how
>> fast it booted I loved it.
>>

> Boot speed is a must-have for people?  This is a bit strange to me.  How
> often do you reboot your machine?  I only do that on my personal machines
> for kernel upgrades or power failures.  Everything else is suspend-to-disk
> or suspend-to-RAM while the machine's not in use.  For the physical
> machines at work, POST takes a lot longer than SysV init, so using systemd
> would not help very much.
>
> GNOME3 having a hard dependency on systemd means that a lot of people will
> pretty much have to install it.  If any frequently-used thing (MariaDB,
> postgres, nginx...) decides to use systemd for something, that'll be
> another set of annoyances for people who don't want systemd.  At least
> openrc is still around, so people can write init scripts in bash *and* have
> dependency tracking/parallel startup if they want....
>
> --
> Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
> There is no Darkness in Eternity
> But only Light too dim for us to see.