Postfix + Dovecot on Ubuntu 14.04lts configuration

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Oct 11 13:02:28 MST 2015

Hi,

Trying to configure Postfix + Dovecot on Ubuntu 14.04lts.

Following the tutorial  :
http://www.krizna.com/ubuntu/setup-mail-server-ubuntu-14-04/

At step 12  :  Now test SMTP-AUTH and smtp/pop3 port access .
Type the below command and should get below response.
krizna at mail:~$ telnet mail.krizna.com smtp
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.kriznaa.com ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
now type ehlo mail.krizna.com and should get below response , please
make sure you get those bolded lines .
ehlo mail.krizna.com
250-mail.krizna.com
--------
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
---------
250 DSN
and try the same with port 587 (telnet mail.krizna.com 587).
Postfix configuration is over, continue for dovecot installation.

- - -
I replace mail.krizna.com with my FQDN.

For smtp I get the output as listed above with the emphasise on
--------
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
---------

However for port 587 I do not see all three lines.  I only get one
250-STARTTLS

the tutorial says I should see all three.

Step 17 » Now test pop3 and imap port access using the telnet command.
krizna at mail:~$ telnet mail.krizna.com 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready.
Repeat the same for 995,993,143 ports.
- - -

I replace mail.krizna.com with my FQDN and for port 110 I get the "+OK
Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready." line.

For the ports 995,993 and 143 I get the same output LESS the last line
"+OK Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready.",

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Keith